Chinese New Year wishes are traditional ones where the younger generation shows respect towards the elders and seek their blessings; while the elderly people shower the younger ones with all their best wishes. In Chinese, greetings for the elderly or the respected person is phrased a little differently where the word “you” is represented by the word nín instead of the commonly used form nǐ.
The common phrases used to wish on Chinese New Year are — Xin Nian Kuai Le 新年快乐 (Mandarin), Gong Hei Fard Choy 恭喜发财 (Cantonese) or Xing Ni Ju Yi 新年如意 (Teochew/ Hokkien used in South East Asia and Taiwan). Children often quip to the elders by saying — Gōng xǐ fā cái, hóng bāo ná lái (Happy New Year, now give me a red envelope).
Here are some sample Chinese New Year wishes for you to refer to –
- I pray to God in the highest heaven that all men on earth have a wonderful New Year that is blessed by the angels and the elders to bring them happiness always.
- The New Year is a fresh new opportunity for us to live another year with gusto and make the most of what we have to make the year gainful in every aspect.
- As the New Year sets in make the most of it by planning the year ahead so that you can yield maximum benefits.
- I wish this New Year you always find yourself surrounded by the warmth and companionship of your friends and family to keep your heart happy and joyful.
- May this New Year bring you many happy memories that you shall always treasure for years to come.
- This New Year I bring you endless good wishes and prayers hoping that our friendship is a lasting one and is remembered by all for many years.
- This New Year I plan to bundle all my prayers to wish that you have things nice and beautiful coming your way all through the year.
- I send you my sincere respect at the onset of the New Year and hope that the goodwill of peace and cheer is spread all around in the coming days.
- This New Year my wish for you is that may you always be wrapped around with happiness and gaiety.
- This New Year I wish that treasures mount up at your business, your work flourishes, your reputation grows in leaps and bounds, peace prevail in your home all round and harmony exists between you and your dear ones.
- This New Year I wish for you plentiful of money and treasures and a high position at your place of work.